View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #67
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Router
First we should define some boxes. FIOS cable enters a box called the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). This splits fiber communication into phone, internet, and cable TV. Phone is obvious - a four wire RJ-11 port (as also found on phones).

Coax cable feeds cable TV boxes. Here is the rub (if I remember it correctly). If you have TV service, then internet must also be from that coax cable. No TV service means you can connect direct to the Ethernet (RJ-45) port.

That is what I remember - and that may only be unique to Alcatel-Lucent ONTs. It does not hurt to try it yourself. Connect your computer's ethernet port directly to that Ethernet jack.

Lights in the ONT that are relevant include one labeled POTS. It would be on constant when a phone is off hook; off when all phones are on hook.

I believe the relevant light is Network. If I remember, it is on if it detects a router either on coax connection or ethernet port. Flashes when data is transferring.

You cannot use a router on both coax and ethernet. However, I believe the ONT finds the appropriate port and used it - no Verizon configuration necessary.

Ethernet port can connect to a router or directly to a computer. It that connection works, then a light at both ends (also on computer or router) indicates a good connection. IOW if using FIOS TV, I believe that ethernet port light will not report a good connection.

Coax router is actually a router and modem. I believe and DOCSIS 3 modem will work on that coax. Of course, coax splitters must also be used to connect both TV and coax modem/router to that shared coax cable.

This stuff is not complex. What makes it hard is Verizon's need to starve you of facts. Their documentation is for people who really barely read. More useful information can come from the ONT manufacturer. First you must identify the manufacturer and ONT model number.

Last edited by tw; 10-23-2015 at 06:54 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote