View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 05:51 AM   #1
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Raymond Scott: Composer of that music from WB cartoons...

...you know his music, you just don't know you do.

Quote:
Scott's most familiar and oft-used tune was Powerhouse, which contains two distinct, unrelated sections: the first, uptempo passage evokes a coyote-chasing-Roadrunner melee; the second, slower passage suggests a menacing assembly-line-gone-haywire. Both found their way into over 40 WB scores. Animation World Magazine

"Raymond Scott was definitely in the forefront of developing electronic music technology, and in the forefront of using it commercially as a musician."
- Bob Moog, inventor of Moog synthesizers

"Being introduced to the music of Raymond Scott was like being given the name of a composer I feel I have heard my whole life, who until now was nameless. Clearly he is a major American-composer."
- David Harrington, leader of the Kronos Quartet

"Raymond Scott's musical genius should not be-overlooked."
- John Flansburgh, They Might Be Giants

"What can you say about a man who inspired cartoon melodies and bebop, invented Frank Zappa and electronic music, and still found time to work for-Motown?"
- Andy Partridge, songwriter & leader of XTC

"Raymond Scott's music gets better as it gets older. When it first appeared, it was so bizarre it could not be categorized. Now, it is no less innovative and comic, but it begins to occupy a serious role in our total music-appreciation."
- Dick Hyman, musician

You can hear clips of "Powerhouse" and other samples of his work at http://raymondscott.com/

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote