View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #226
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
Most do have the opportunity, both before they went to jail and again afterwards.
An opportunity and a realistic opportunity are much different things.

Quote:
I'm talking about convincing the people who have decided to turn to crime because of more money/fewer responsibilities or whatever. I'm not talking about those who no possibility of ever being part of society which are basically the ones with severe disorders that need a separate facility.
So you realize that the fault is within society and not the individual? And don't respond with that choice crap, be very careful when you judge an individual without any idea of the pressures to make the decision that he or she made.

That is one reason why my view of prisons will never be possible for a long time because one, it is more reasonable to go to a life of crime for some people than it is to follow the law and two, inner city society is a breeding group for criminal activity and that is institutionalized.

In order for my idea to reach its full potential, the two problems I have stated would have to be fixed first and that is why prisons are not my main concern right now.

Quote:
As for hopelessness, I'm not sure of the details but don't we already offer life management advise and such to inmates in all but maximum security? You can't just 'take away' someone's hopelessness with positive talk. You can offer a library and online courses to those willing to make a change in their life but that's about it.
Just because you have something doesn't mean they are even close to its highest potential.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote