View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just finished Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

It's different from his usual, since it's actually set closer to now ... which was a little strange to figure out, because time references are few and far between. We eventually know it's after 9/11/01, but not how far.

There's a couple of different subplots that more or less lurch through the book. I thought the pacing was extremely uneven on this one, which was a bit distracting, and the main character has a better backstory than her current existence, but it does pick up a bit. Unfortunately, after plodding along in minutae for the first three-quarters of the book, he seems to come to the realization that he's reaching the page limit for a salable novel and rushes to the finish line in an unsatisfying (for me) way.

Oh, and somebody has to tell him to lay off on the word "crepuscular" though. Once is too often. I know for-sure it's used twice, possibly three times. Oh yeah, and "liminal".

Nice vocabulary. Now go back to writing.

Oh, and what was Voytek doing with the ZX81s? Not the physical construction, but what was he going to run on the array? Or is that the next book? Could be, you know, since that was more interesting to speculate on rather than the truth behind the Footage.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote