Thread: Brit Insults
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
They missed out 'lummock'.

Gormless bunch. Two bricks short of a load, the lot of them.

Further material for the discerning etymologist here:

Link
Funny you should point out 'lummock'

I've been listening to a series of audiobooks (zompoc fiction) and it follows several different groups in different locations, mostly in the US but with a few storylines in other countries. One of the groups being in London - and as much as I love the story overall, I find that storyline difficult to listen to. The author is clearly familiar with the UK - the physical descriptions, some of the routes he describes and some of the slang and culture....but: it's so not today's Britain. It's definitely written by someone familiar with rather than born of the UK - the slang and speech patterns are off kilter - along with some of the cultural notes. Its supposed to be set in 2013 but is a mish mash of 1950s -1980s slang and attitudes.

One of the words that jarred with me was 'lummock' used by someone in their late teens/early 20s :P Along with a 14 year old addressing a woman in her 30s as 'mum' (ma'am) on first meeting - and then later exclaiming 'what the blazes was that?' ....ya know like the teenz do.

There are a bunch of those details that really pull me out of the narrative. But 'lummock' was one of the first, along with descriptions of someone with a 'stiff upper lip'
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote