View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

What kind of surfaces do you run on?

If you live in a moderate climate, you might try running sandals. Lunas come highly recommended, and can be custom made. They are from a company started by Barefoot Ted (of Born to Run fame). He used to sell kits from his website. Vibram Five Fingers are a good option for minimal running shoes, too.

Merrell and Salomon are good "traditional" running shoes. They are weak on the wide-width selection, but that doesn't affect you. The big brands can be okay, but go for something with no correction and minimal padding--You have to go without to correct the problems. I hate seeing people wear those fucking Nike shoes with the big fucking springs on the bottom.

I can second the recommendation for Born to Run. Your local library probably has a copy or two. There are at least half a dozen at mine, because of the crazy trail running community.

I used to pronate pretty severely. Focusing on form and keeping relaxed instead of trying for speed helps. Strength and forming correct muscle memory go a long way.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote