Thread: DIY Leather
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hours later, with the outside edges of my pinkie fingers raw from pulling the thread taught, I finished the stitching. I am *very* happy with the result. Having said that, now that I've done this simple project, I can see a few things I can do next time to make it even better.

First of all, I'll make a shallow groove where the dotted line of stitches will appear. This will let the thread rest below the surface of the leather, protecting the stitches from being abraded. Honestly, in this particular piece, there's no practical danger of the threads being worn down to the breaking point. But for other projects, this will make a nice difference.

Next time, I'll make a much greater effort to make my stitches enter the leather at a perfectly consistent distance AND angle. The length of the stitches is nicely consistent, but the exit point on the "back" side of the paddle is somewhat variable, making a shakier line of stitches. Functionally, fine. Aesthetically, it looks kinda country. I'll do better next time.

There are other details you can't see since I didn't bother to capture them during the build process. I put a radiused edge on the whole paddle, save the end opposite the handle. This gave it a much nicer feel and a nicer look.

Next time, I'll also burnish these radiused edges making them shiny smoooooth. Next time.

If you look back you'll see I used brown thread. I put a lovely coat of black shoe polish on this one and the thread's black now. Still looks nice though.

Next time, I'll put a hole in the handle for a hanging strap or wrist strap.

Next time, some carving or stamping.... I have *lots* of ideas for next time. Valentine's day is coming soon. Watch this space!

pic 01: The bitter (biter) end. I like this treatment of the end of the paddle. It makes a distinctive mark, and it looks surprising, like someone bit through the end of the toy!

pic 02: Wide shot of the finished project. It sure takes a nice shine, doesn't it?
Attached Images