View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

We've travelled fairly extensively through most states, and it seems there's just a few small pockets in the northeast still with freeway exits numbered sequentially rather than by mileage from their origin within the state. British motorway exits are numbered sequentially, so I found it odd at first, but very quickly grew to prefer the by-mileage system because it's so easy to know how far you are from anywhere. I also got used to the house numbering system, although I don't find as much need for that. (The more digits you have, the further away you are from the center of the city, your next-door-neighbor will typically have a house number at least 4 higher than yours, in case plots are split and more houses added.... but there are so many exceptions I find it pretty meaningless now. e.g. new cutesy neighborhoods being build in cornfields miles out of town are getting houses with 1 & 2 digit numbers instead of 5 or 6 because it's more attractive to prospective buyers....)