View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #73
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
my original point from 2016 was not that religion and politics are intertwined, but that politics is replacing religion as a source of spiritual fulfillment

so this year we had a movement which offered spiritual redemption, moral instruction, kneeling and chants, original sin and the confession of it, fellowship and excommunication, a thorough dogma, the pursuit of a perfect state of being, a rigidly enforced guidelines for behavior, and martyr worship.

but perhaps all that is by chance
I would still make the point that in many cases this is indicated by the mixing of religion and politics. One could make chicken and egg argument. Either the inclusion of politics into religion was caused by politics taking on the trappings of religion and forcing itself into established religions or established religions were co-opted by political leaders and religious elements were transferred to the political party.

In our current situation, as much as some conservative leaders try to disavow Trump's moral credentials while maintaining that he is a useful tool for their religious objectives, it can be argued that Donald Trump is the new moral leader of a large number of American conservative Christians.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote