View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Use Yahoo because it helps AG Gonsalez make our country a safer place? You're cracked.

I don't use Yahoo because Google is superior in every way for my purposes. I **DON'T** want my search history available to the government on demand, in aggregate form or not.

I cheer Google for their refusal.

I cheer them for the same reason that when the police come knocking on my front door, I go outside to continue the conversation. No warrant, no invitation.

The prospect of preventing crimes is very attractive, but we've reached the threshold where the diminishing returns on "preventing crime" are far outweighed by the cost of the "prevention". In fact, as it stands now, the illegal and unfruitful searchs for evidence of a future crimes IS ITSELF A CRIME; witness the growing scandal this administration has caused itself by spying on Americans without following our laws. "We're just looking to prevent crimes." Pah!

Hey, how would you respond if the AG sent you a letter and said, "Hey, imprint, I'd like to have all your bank records, a detailed log of all the conversations you've had, including a time/date/location record of all your movements over a given thirty day period. I'll pick the month, you just be ready to deliver. What? No, you're not suspected of any crime, we just want to observe the effects of some law on your behavior and actions. You're no perv, of course. But somebody you talked to or walked with or shopped in the same store as or asked directions of or attended the same church as or drive the same color car as, etc etc etc. is just the kind of **potential** threat to America we're looking for. And if you resist us, you're obviously a collaborator. You're one of them or at least a sympathizer and that's just an ace away from being one of them. Now just shut up and hand it over." Or words to that effect.

Feeling, um, cooperative? I didn't think so.