View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
mbpark
Lecturer

Tonchi,

1. Your tech is wrong. Sp3 was obsolete over a year ago. If you had it, you weren't protected against the latest issues.

2. Are you running a workstation or specialized PC? You may need drivers for your hard drive controller, which you need to load at setup. Those can be easily loaded during the setup process (when it asks you to hit F6).

3. Have you attempted to boot from a bootable Windows CD such as BartPE to see if it can detect the hard drive?

I'm sorry, but your tech has no clue, and you should look elsewhere for technical support.

Sp4 has been out since 2003. I run it on a bunch of machines with no issues, many of them being high-usage servers. I run 2000 Pro on one of my work desktops with SP4. I have customers who run it on many desktops (in the thousands). The Sp3 to Sp4 upgrade only messed up a few Proliant servers due to the techs not updating the drivers or BIOS. It did not mess with the desktops.

The Automatic Update did not do this. It was either your tech doing something completely unorthodox (which I do not doubt), or a hardware issue.

Thanks,

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote