Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Right on point as per

Here's what I would like to happen in order of preference:

1. A second referendum; or
2. a complete withdrawal from Europe that allows us to participate in international trade deals without having to compromise them to remain in an economic trading system over which we have lost any and all say - indefinitely.

They had two years to come up with a plan - and they fucked it up. They started this shit with the original referendum - a promise made for political expediency during a fight for dominance in one political party. They sent us down this road and they have spent two years fighting among themselves and trying to get a compromise between two diametrically opposed viewpoints.

We would have been better off spending the last two years planning for a complete exit - 2 years of uncertainty has not been good for the economy, it has not provided businesses with any kind of confidence. Now our choice is to crash out with minimal planning and wholly insufficient contingencies in place or revisit the question of whether we want to leave Europe. It is fucking ludicrous that they dont have a plan after 2 fucking years.

We could actually have made Brexit work for us - maybe we'd be less of a force in the world, but that's ok - we're not a fucking empire anymore. It wasn't my preference - I was dead against it but if we'd have just bitten the bullet when the vote was done and got on with planning the break away we could have made it work for us. Instead we got a pointless election that destroyed the credibility of the leader just as we needed some fucking confidence and direction and the whole affair has been limping round in circles ever since - with the leave date getting closer and nobody able to plan anything because nobody knows what the fuck brexit is going to look like.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote