View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Heh. Very good.

That looks like a typical Manc taxi rank at New Year. And those girls look like typical New Year revellers in dress and demeanour appropriate to Manchester city centre.

I think a lot of Americans might find British city centres- and indeed town centres, which are sometimes worse - a bit of a shock at weekends and during holidays. Very much not in line with notions of Brits as polite, restrained or repressed. I avoid them like the plague on Friday and Saturday nights.

One time I walked through Halifax town centre on a Friday night there was a young lass being half dragged along the ground by her mates because she was drunk and had decided to lie down in the middle of the road. There were what i can only describe as roving bands of young people catcalling each other from opposite sides of the main road, and some lads hanging out of windows of apartments above shops shouting lewd suggestions and someone else being violently sick in a shop doorway.

It is also a strange paradigm in the Uk that the further North,and therefore the colder, you get the less clothes are worn when out on the piss. I don't know why this is. I do know that the sight of young women in teeny tiny dresses and very little else is a common one even in the depths of winter. I also know I was one of them once. Shivering my way through the first pubs on the crawl, waiting for the alcohol to kick in and warm me up.

*shrugs*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote