View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I don't think it's 'political correctness' that made him remove his tweets and apologise. More likely the realisation that insulting large swathes of potential fans and sparking a twitter debate that could only ever show him in negative terms might not be the best career move for a man whose career depends on the public's willingness to accept him...He was deliberately provocative and insulting to a large contingent of twitter users, and whilst he should absolutely have a legal right to do so, and should absolutely not face any kind of legal sanction, it is entirely the right of the twitter community to self-police and give him a written slap. he responded to that written slap by withdrawing his comments and choosing not to cause further offence.
I'd agree...if other incidents that have got Russell Crowe into the press are considered (the throwing the phone at hotel staff in NY a few years ago being but one), it would seem that this is his modus operandi which is why I think he's a dickhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I have very few opinions on male circumcision.It's not as big a thing over here as it is over in the States I think. I don't know enough about the apparent health benefits. My gut reaction is that it seems a damn strange thing to do to a boy. I don't understand it. I don't particularly approve of it. I certainly don't approve of it as a religious rite. If someone can prove health benefits that's well and good, but the big man in the sky wants you to cut off a piece from a baby? That sits ill with me.
I can't say this with any kind of authority as I haven't done any recent or extensive research on it...the last thing I read on Jewish rules/customs was back in 1995 when I worked for a rabbi's wife, but it would seem if the meat/milk separation has any correlation when these rules were made (in Old Testament times) there were good health reasons for them. This is probably no longer necessarily the case which indicates the wisdom of continuing to abide by the letter of the law to the Bible is questionable.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote