View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #41
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
Are the liquor stores there state-owned/state-run or just licensed private businesses?
I don't know about you, kid. Sending seniors out into Vermont snow storms to buy you booze? Any idea how hard it is to use a walker in 3 foot snow drifts? Never mind how difficult it is for someone with early onset Alzheimer's to keep all those receipts straight.

Colorado has licensed private businesses. However, down here in the Lost Corners, it gets tricky. My town is right next to the Ute tribal reservation as well as the Navajo Nation. It is illegal to even carry a bootle of booze for yourself, never mind sell any in either the Navajo Nation or on Ute tribal lands. They are located in an alcohol desert as well as a literall one.

Most Navajo's seem to have access to a pick-up truck of some variety. They solve the problem by driving over to New Mexico where you can find a gas station which also serves as a drive-thru liquor store at just about every cross road. They're open on Sundays, too which wasn't the case in Colorado until recently. Everytime I'm down that way and have to buy gas, I feel amazed all over again that I am walking into a liquor store to pay for my gas.

Needless to say, the death toll due to drunk driving is astronomical on both the rez and New Mexico highways. Folks here about warn newcomers to never drive on roads that go thru tribal lands on the weekends.

Go figure.

Perky Coloradans from around here also have the option of a casual walk across the state line over to Utah - I prefer the 70 mile round trip to the town of Monticello, myself, but the show-offs put in the extra 25 miles each way to purchase their poison in Moab. Utah offers the discerning booze shopper tiny state owned stores staffed by disapproving Mormons. People in cars run the risk of missing Utah liquor stores altogether, since they are plain with teensy signs, relegated to side streets and only open from about 2 - 7pm weekdays.

Last edited by SamIam; 12-06-2012 at 09:48 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote