Thread: Camping
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #424
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
… Only if REI sells it. So I can take it back if I hate it. ...
This is going to severely limit you.

Prior to the 1980s, REI was a wonderful place. They used the experienced staff's knowledge and the co-op's buying power to select the best brand name products on the market, in each price range, and make them affordable to more people. There was something for everyone.

They changed, going for increased profits by handling only the big sellers, the higher profit margin brand names (even if they weren't as good as others) and having lesser quality stuff (with similar features) made at lower cost to them under their own brand name.

Now, it's primarily a place for novices. It's also fine for little items and for when you need something on short notice. Most of the people who can give you good advice on what's best; however, even just what's best within a price range, have moved on from REI and you're wasting their time. If you want suggestions on only REI merchandise, that's what the REI staff is for.

BTW, I've been an REI member for 30 years and despite that as a member I still get dividends, I haven't shopped there in over 10 years.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote