View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My favourite non-lit story, which I could only find in rull in an audio version. Party Food by Mort Castle.

The classic genre short story in my opinion, in that it leaves you wanting more, far more about the world it is set in. Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut.

I don't really like this short story, but it sticks in my head and I have to reread it periodically. Actually I find most of Mansfield's stories equally painful, the hopelessness and unhappiness of her characters, their unfulfilled desires, trammeled lives and unspoken dreams. This one is that at its apogee in my opinion. Daughters of the Late Colonel by Katherine Mansfield.

I'm not a great short story fan to be honest. Many non-genre short stories just seem to wander about and not achieve much. Children get better short stories with a beginning, a middle and an end - and a happening in between. But even as a child, if I picked a library book up, interested and excited by it, and realised it was a short story book I'd invariably put it back down again.

Oh, I do like Ray Bradbury's though. And Roald Dahl's.