Thread: diabetes stuff
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

unless you've really exhausted as many lifestyle changes and drug therapies as you can, surgery i think is always the least preferable option for many illnesses. particularly one as intense as gastric bypass. some people choose it. i am not a doctor, but if i were in your place i'd put that one waaaay down at the bottom of the list. I try to save the scalpel for "going to die" types of situations, but that's just me.

I don't want to push this stuff and i'm not selling it, but the "Bioslife Slim" stuff I started taking - it's mostly a fiber supplement with vitamins added, besides being kinda pricey - holy hell it fills up my stomach. Overeating is.. much less of a problem, suddenly. In fact it's filled me up so much that i've had to basically sure that i eat *something* during the day just to keep from getting dizzy from lack of overall calories. I try to remember to eat a little cup of applesauce at least in the morning or maybe some celery sticks and peanut butter, a small meal during the day and something small at night. Sometimes I throw a little beef jerky or low-fat chocolate milk in there (i know, i shouldn't really have that, too much sugar) to keep some protein going.

But, consequently, my blood sugar is almost actually down into the pre-diabetic, near "normal" levels. a good morning glucose check was in the 150's, average 170, and bad 200+ before. I'm down to being in the 95-110 range for 20 out of 24 days so far. The other 4 days were days I ate late meals and were from 130-150. The drop was basically *immediately* after I started taking the stuff. It spiked for one day when I ran out, then I started taking chromium and saw a drop, then got more drink mix and stopped the chromium and have stayed low since.

For reference i'm a hair under 6' and weigh around 230-240 lbs.
I was diagnosed a couple years ago. I had a urinalysis multi-test strip done (I was feeling quite sick, doc was making sure I didn't have a kidney infection or something) and it indicated glucose, so I went for additional testing. I came back with a fasting sugar of 278 and an A1C of 9.4.

I'm unmedicated, though I briefly took Precose when I was first diagnosed. It helped a little, but it upset my stomach so badly I didn't want to take it anymore if I could help it.

Given that I don't have insurance anyways and diabetes medication is just as if not more expensive than this stupid drink mix, I'm going to keep taking it, tracking my sugar data, and I'll post a followup on if it keeps working or if I've found some other factor. I am inherently extremely mistrustful of supplements and things in general, but holy dang. so far so good.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote