Thread: diabetes stuff
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

i've read quite a bit of pollan, and agree with his general principle of don't eat things that aren't food, eat less, and eat more vegetables. those edicts will get you pretty far along the path to a healthy intake. i really think that knowing what you're eating is extremely important.

i'll look at that book. i've looked at a number of diabetes cookbooks before; though it's worth noting that i'm not sure there's any particular standard for calling a cookbook "diabetic friendly". heck, i cook with plain white sugar sometimes if the dish calls for it - but i don't cook a lot of stuff that does. a pinch here or there, that kind of thing. if it calls for a sugar substitute, even sucralose(supposedly "better" and "more natural" than others, yeah right), i skip right past that cookbook. though i drink diet soda(pretty much for the caffeine), i think it's best to stay away from that stuff in general to cut down on the overall sweet tooth urge. i basically eat what i want, just.. less, and a little more often - no more gorging on a single meal a day. i do.. slip, or splurge or however you call it, but keeping track of that has meant that i can actually allow myself to once in a while and not feel guilty because i've learned to balance it.

we'll see how my balancing act handles a dose of tonight's Olive Garden, though, whew! No pasta, but fried calamari, salad and a sort of cioppino-like seafood thing that i can't remember the name of, started with a B. was pretty good, though. a couple bites of the gf's tiramisu and a cup of coffee.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote