View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #63
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Every fibre of my being rebels against that photograph and everything that it represents. That said: you look gorgeous missbhf! I actually think that you looking down makes you look even more stunning because it gives you gravitas and an aura of something deeper than a glittering smile.
It's funny. Mine would've too, way back when I lived in the UK. But this is so much more a way of life here. Not the pageants per se, but the dressing up. This was mine and beest's realization this weekend. Americans love to dress up in a way that Brits don't.

We went to a local outdoor "old fashioned village" museum here this weekend (Memorial Day Weekend) to see the civil war re-enactments (not just battles, but regular every day life too). The soldiers' costumes were good and must've cost them a pretty penny....and there were plenty of them.... but the real surprise was the number of entire families in period costume. Possibly about 40% of the people there. Way more than just the families of the re-enactors. They were lapping it up.

Winning a "beauty" pageant is cool and people get pissed off if they don't win, but not in a big way -they enjoyment they get from dressing up and takiung part is generally still bigger than the sense of defeat.

That's why Halloween is such a biggie here, why parades and pageants are so popular. For all Brits reading this... The Halloween scene in ET ...not fiction. Kids really do all dress up like that and swarm the streets, and the parents do too. In fact the ET scene is tame. really.