View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Unfortunately that is exactly how a decent society must work. The alternative is something akin to totalitarianism and Gulags. We have two choices. We try to do the best we can - or we take the Rush Limbaugh "they are evil so cut off their penises" attitude. The Rush Limbaugh solution was also called Stalinism.
Why only two? Who made that decision, you? I see at least one more and maybe there's more between the extremes you have decided are at issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
You have no right to expect extreme protection. You only have the right to expect protection as best available - and still protect others rights. A percentage of all murders who get out will murder again. That is expected and cannot be avoided. So therefore we should fry all murders. I appreciate your fear. But life is about risk. Deal with the logic. Your fears are not relevant.
Oh stop it for God's sake. Of course her fears are relevant, everyones fears are relevant, that's why we have cops and jails. Nothing, repeat nothing, has a larger impact on quality of life than being able to allay those fears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
We do the best we can to minimize your risks. But that does not justify the frying of all murders, pedophiles or rapists. And yet with all the emotion in your post, that is exactly what you advocate. It is what happens when fear replaces logic.
And when logic replaces your assumtions, there are more solutions than the ones you've outlined. Your not going to win this one by creating an emotionally charged atmosphere of you're with me or your a rabid murderer. Not this time bro, any fool can see their are more than two options to this one. :p