View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #38
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
No, the issue of making the human sacrifices the centerpiece of the movie being some sort of metaphor for decadence and corruption of government is the REAL historical inaccuracy, if it even exists in Mel's agenda. The facts of the time were that even the highest Maya ruler was himself OFTEN sacrificed, as well as the heads of royal families and other figureheads. If you think the suicide assassins of the Muslim world are brainwashed, they don't hold a candle to the Pre-Colombian civilizations.
See, I didn't get the feeling that the human sacrifices were the centerpiece. Even though there was a build-up to them and an escape from them, it really was only one small piece of the movie. The fact that they were quite explicit in the film, I think, is more because the movie is supposed to be an action adventure movie than because it is commentary.

It is so hard to know without hearing from the horse's mouth what is commentary and what is not. Like many of the rock and roll interviews I've heard where the songwriter's think it is funny that fans and critics come up with all these interpretations when the songwriter was just using a specific word because it rhymed.

Seems like there is a whole lot of extrapolation going on . . .