View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The Queen is probably resigned to that happening, but I bet she is not amused. Windsor is directly in line with the flight path out of Heathrow and the air traffic noise is remarkable there. It's like living next to the interstate. In a castle.
I read somewhere that HMQ is adept at identifying some aircraft types by engine sound alone. I didn't find that article, but I did find this from July 2015:

Quote:
The Queen could receive millions of pounds to soundproof Windsor Castle from the noise of planes from an expanded Heathrow, it was claimed today.

A £1billion compensation fund has been promised for communities under flights paths including help to limit the impact of noise would be set aside if Heathrow gets to go ahead for a third runway.

It is suggested that the Queen could be one of the main beneficiaries to curb the noise of flights over the 900-year-old castle where she spends her weekends.
Queen could get 'millions' to soundproof Windsor Castle from the noise of flights from expanded Heathrow

The decision was made at lunchtime:

Third runway at Heathrow cleared for takeoff by ministers