View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #6
Snakeadelic
Banned

I actually saw this place on EPoD, but I think they had different photos of it! Not more than a month or so back.

Never been to Yellowstone (or Glacier) and maybe never will on our budget & with assorted health problems, but they do have some amazing sights!

A different section of the Divide runs less than an hour south of me, in the area of Chief Joseph & Lost Trail Passes. One of the scariest things I've personally seen Montana do was at the Chief Joseph Pass/Continental Divide sign. One year--in late JUNE--we decided to try to get to Crystal Park, a few hours east of us and over 8,000 feet above sea level in the Pioneer Mountains.

I was so glad no one stopped to take pictures of my temper tantrum...the snow that hadn't melted started half a road mile from the gate, and because of the snowplow used to keep the road clear for the lower-down Maverick Mountain Ski Area driveway, there was a four. Foot. Wall. Of. Snow. I yelled, I cried, I even kicked the 4-foot wall of snow. We got a motel room for the night down to the south in Dillon (which is upside I-15) and drove home the next morning.

The thing about the pass sign is that when we hopped the pass, only half of it was visible (can't remember but I think it says Chief Joseph Pass on the top half). 24 hours later, on our way home, ALL the lettering was visible. That was like...nine inches of snowmelt overnight. We had crazy river flooding that summer!

If there's a moral, it's not "don't piss off nature" and it's not "don't piss ON nature"...it's "don't forget to check your destination elevation when planning early-summer trips along the Continental Divide, or you might end up with way more snowball fight in your vacation than you thought"! Personally, I say as long as it's not on my boots, piss wherever y'all want.

Just watch out for bears if you're in my neighborhood, cuz we got bears. My neighbor almost (sadly, literally) rode his Harley straight up the ass of a grizzly as he was dodging the fresh poop on the highway. He chose the wrong side and the bear was deep in a blackberry thicket. He still says "yeah, the mirror says 'objects may be closer than they appear', and you do not want that 'object' to be an angry 600-pound bear."

I guess I'm not surprised when urbanites and the terminally urbanized don't understand why I love the country and can't get along in the city without loads of tranquilizers.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote