View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Taxpayer funded public schools not endorsing a religious holiday? This is not a surprise and certainly has nothing to do with people being "afraid" to wish people a Merry Christmas or "offending others". (Hint: public schools are secular.) Private schools, I'm assuming, would have a different answer.
They closed for Christmas, they will close for Christmas, but they are not allowed to say so any more. Closing for Christmas is hardly endorsing a religious holiday in the USA... ask your officemate.
Quote:
The major corporation I work for has "Christmas Day" marked as an employee holiday this year (as they have for as long as anyone can remember),
They are far behind the curve
Quote:
In my work environment in which a very large portion of the company doesn't celebrate Christmas, the change makes excellent business sense.
Who are they doing business on Christmas Day?
Quote:
My officemate started buying presents for her kids and putting up lights on her house but has no inkling of what the holiday means to Christians. They do it "because everyone else does" and don't feel any real religious attachment to giving their kids video games or putting a inflatable Santa in their yard.
Exactly, without changing the name.
Quote:
So, really, the whole "Christmas fear" -- are you or anyone you know afraid to wish people "Merry Christmas" for fear of offending someone? Know anyone that is?
Yes, every manager at work, unless they are particularly good friends with the employee.
Quote:
In the end, no one is really being pressured by the "PC police" to keep their religious ideas away from others -- everyone is just as religiously free, in this country, as they ever were. Nothing the media has reported on in this "war" can change that.
Not true.