View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
glatt

The Marines' new Jeep

The Growler.

At first glance it looks just like the old Jeep the army had in the '40s. It's a little different though, it uses basically a Yukon engine, which is pretty big. And it has an air suspension so it can drop down to squeeze into an Osprey. Other than that, it's your basic Jeep. (But not made by Jeep.) Oh, it has a top speed of only 45 mph on the highway. WTF? I know they won't normally want to go faster than 45, but wouldn't it be nice if it could do say, 60 mph for emergencies?

What would you expect it to cost? Just for reference, a 2009 2 door Jeep Wrangler X has a MSRP of $21,210. It's the closest thing Jeep seems to offer.

The 2009 Wrangler X is a 2 door 4wd V6. It doesn't have the air suspension like the Growler, but it's pretty similar otherwise, in my opinion. I mean, it's nicer looking, but you could always take the doors off if that's the look you are going for.

Seriously, what should this Growler cost? It's got the added air suspension, which isn't free. I'd expect it to be around $50K, just because military stuff always costs more. So that's my guess. $50K.

I'd be wrong. Last year, they estimated it would cost $209K. And if you want to get the version with a trailer so it can haul ammunition and a mortar, it will go for $1,078,000. Over a million dollars for a jeep. One jeep.

IMHO, the military needs to fix its procurement methods. Just go down to the dealership and buy 10 damn Jeeps for the price of one of these.

Washington Post article on it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote