View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I worked with a man who would use very inappropriate language about our gay colleague. Behind his back.
Gay colleague was supercilious, snide and quite unpleasant.
Person using the inappropriate language was funny, open-minded and was BFF with a gay all the way through Uni (they lost contact he he moved away from Brighton, not because of any other disagreement).
He was not homophobic.

But had he ever been in court and it was called into question, he would have been judged by his words, not his attitude or behaviour.

I must remember this.
I secretly roll my eyes at many things Mum says. They speak of embedded attitudes ("Well, we do have one Asian family living nearby, but they don't really cause any trouble.")
But her actions and behaviour show differently.
She was so touched at how they responded to Grandad's death. She appreciated the fact that Mr H read her some verses from the Koran, in the same way an atheist like me would appreciate a true Christian reading reading a relevant passage from the Bible - if it is intended to comfort then it's the thought that counts.

They put a card through the door every Christmas, she puts one through their door at Eid.

Sorry, a bit off topic.
No idea who this woman is and whether she's racist or not.
But I do get a little stab in the throat when Bri's name comes up on my screen.