View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #17
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
I've always really disliked the term "computer illiterate".

What does that MEAN? Like, "I can read, except when it's on a computer monitor."
Computer literate was an expresson 'coined' by John Akers of IBM. Ironic because the man could only use a PC for e-mail and text oriented stock quotes. In 1990 (or around then), Bill Gates said it was the most important road trip he had taken. On the desks of these IBM corporate executives and their staff were IBM XTs with CGA monitors. IOW the IBM corporate office computers could not even execute most all software being sold in the malls.

You tell me. How does someone know 'computer literacy' when the head of a computer company does not even know how to use one nor understand what is even current technology. It explained to Bill Gates why IBM fought against Windows and why IBM did not write the critical code shared by Windows and OS/2. Why IBM had to pay Microsoft (I forget how many $millions) for royalties on OS/2 code in copies that IBM gave away by the tens of thousands. How literate was the man who coined the phrase?

The expression 'computer literate' to me really means the person promoting it is the classic MBA - just like John Akers of IBM (and his sidekick Cannavino) who almost destroyed the company.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote