View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #43
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You're watching too much history channel, Adak. No more dog fights, any air to air is long now long distance. The need for ground support, helicopters and a-10s is the future. The Taliban is the successor to the Mujahideen.
Sorry Bruce. I lived on Adak Island. One of the islands that was overrun by the Japanese in WWII, briefly. Whole family is military, almost. I wasn't on Adak when the Japs came a'visiting.

We had very few dog fights in Iraq, because they knew it would be suicide, and flew out of the country.

That's winning without fighting, and that's what I want.

You can't have ground support aircraft, unless you control that air space. (My nephew flew Apache long-bow attack helo's in the Army, until recently.)

You may recall (although the media didn't give the incidents much traction), the "test run attacks" over several of the US Air Force Bases, by Russian strategic bombers.

Flew right over our AF bases, with bombers the size of B-52's! Stupid AF pukes couldn't get our fighters scrambled fast enough to "greet them" and turn them away.

I'd like to believe that there would never be another war, but the minute I believe that, I know I brought that war one second closer to a reality.

If you want peace - walk softly, and carry a big stick. No one who wants to tear you up, will respect you when you're carrying a handful of rose petals, or a feather from a pure white dove.

The Taliban are a particular "flavor" (philosophy) of Mujahideen, dedicated to fighting against the West, and re-establishing the Caliphate with Sharia laws, and of course (always), converting the "non-believers".

Our advisors fought in Afghanistan, with other Mujahideen, dedicated to freeing their land from the invading Russians. They had no problem with us - quite liked us, actually.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote