View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #8279
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I just saw a presentation by a Blue Angel pilot and his crew chief and logistics guy.

Just. Wow.

The Angels have long been a family favorite: we used to watch the air show from my dad's lake/land and they often did their turnarounds right over our heads.

And my nephew now being in flight school for the Marines...I get choked up just thinking of it all.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This made me very happy on Sunday:

At mom and dad's, and my brothers are there. They're going to try to find some sneaky spot from which to see the blue angels. My brother had just the spot. I rode with older brother, dad, a kid friend of the family. In the other vehicle was little brother and wife and their girls. Later, my oldest nephew came.

It was in a ________ (let's just say a place where people are dying to get in) and it was filling up. No one was bothering anything, of course. A man came around to tell us we had to leave. We sort of started packing up but none of the other crowds were really moving either. Like dad said, he was just doing his job, but no one was making an effort to leave, they just kept pulling in. About 600-800 people probably. Guy gave up...what can you do. Dad said if they decided to arrest anyone they could have him since he's retired.

Anyway, the Angels' flight path back to the show was right over our heads. At one point you could see the guys heads (who were flying upside down in formation) and see the heat/fire from the jet engines. And the SOUND. You can't be that close to that sort of thing without it filling you UP. It was beautiful. I saw the numbers on the planes and saw my buddy from the presentation.

I was so glad I had the opportunity.

I can't explain how thrilling it is to me, to all of us.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote