View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Mormonism is particularly suffocating. I was an active member of the Mormon church until I was old enough to make up my own mind about it, which was about age twelve. My mother still tried to make me go for a couple years, but thankfully she realized that I wasn't avoiding church because it was boring or because I didn't like getting all dolled up every Sunday, but because church just wasn't for me.

The Mormons excommunicate anyone who openly admits to being homosexual. That's just the paperwork though, the real problem for gays here is the Mormon density... using data from the last census, a local paper showed that about 88% of residents in Utah County here are LDS (tried to find a link to the story, but I can't find one). About 60% desity in the whole state, but Utah County is Mormon HQ. Mormons do not tolerate homosexuals... they don't speak to them, help them out when they need something, or let their kids near them.

So it is not surprsing that a lot of gay men here don't come out of the closet until after their tenth wedding anniversary. Being gay just isn't allowed, and anyone who chooses otherwise is shunned. Sad but true.

Oh, and in case anybody was wondering, I'm straight.