View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #230
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
Explain why you think most people in the prison system have no 'realistic' chance of normalcy. I originally said most, you haven't clarified further yet.
You basically have a scarlet letter to carry for the rest of your life. It is much harder to gain employment, the psychological effects of being in jail and being separated from friends and family for so long, and there are many smaller effects it has on a person. Many of the people that are in jail never had a great chance for employment opportunities in the first place and now it is even harder for them to get a job.

Quote:
Hells no, absolutely not. The individual must always be responsible for his or her actions, if that were to change then I could tie the Constitution and Bill of Rights into knots three ways to sunday.
Even when it serves the individual's best interest to commit crime? I don't think you understand, or care, about the catch 22 a lot of people are in. They are fucked if they don't live a life of crime and if they don't want to live paycheck to paycheck with no stability or hope for the future, they have to break the law with extreme consequences.

Quote:
I have no ability to empathize or to even have knowledge of a group I'm not a member of? That doesn't fly in other discussions, and it doesn't fly here either. I can empathize with a great deal of many problems people face. If I see a man charged with assault after walking in on the other man sleeping with his wife, I can empathize with the pain and rage that he was feeling.
Do you have any empathy for the catch 22 a lot of people are in?

Quote:
Now we're sitting in limbo land. There's no way to pursue that unless you say why they're not effective right now. If it was because of your two previous statements then we've reached a conclusion. You say that the prison system cannot perform its ideal function until two of the largest and most embedded problems in society are fixed, and I agree with you. I believe that we can make improvements on the current system in the meantime, and I'm sure you'd probably agree to that as well.
Yes, I believe we can make small improvements but I'm guessing our idea of improvements are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
And it carries a lot of weight with the parole board.
I don't think that is the kind of religious they were thinking of because some religious books are being banned from jails.

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2007/09/12/72163315
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote