View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #217
regular.joe
Старый сержант

If going over your last detox will keep you sober forever, then I'll maintain you are a heavy drinker who has found a sufficient reason to stop. If on the other hand there will come a time when you will not be able to muster the where withall to not buy the next bottle, if that is inevitable...coupled with what you have already told me, that you will be off to the races (we call this the phenomenon of craving), you are an alcoholic.

Going to meetings, having a sponsor, reading aa literature and talking to people will not spell the necessary relief. The only reason I read AA literature is to know what is says so that I can do what it says. The AA program is designed to be, and must be practiced independent of meetings. So, how do I stay sober??? I don't have to, the problem has been removed with no thought or effort on my part. First I made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understand him. Then I painstakingly, and precisely followed and continue to follow the directions outlined in our book. I get it, I didn't buy what I thought was snake oil to begin with either. It came down to one of two choices for me, blot out my life to the bitter end, or seek spiritual aid. Now, I ask for inspiration to meet the things that I don't know how to handle, for intuitive thoughts and decisions, for freedom from my self will. All day every day. I have had, and continue to seek after experience with the God of my understanding who handles this problem for me. I am a recovered alcoholic, I go to meetings to try to pass this information on to the next real alki who is sitting confused amongst a whole lot of people who apparently can decide to not drink anymore and just go to meetings and read inspirational books.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.

Last edited by regular.joe; 08-03-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Needed to be edited.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote