View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 09:38 PM   #29
depmats
Major Inhabitant

[quote]Originally posted by TheLorax
[b] They had to get the idea somewhere that this was acceptable. Who do you blame?

You can start out by blaming the ones who physically committed the crimes – sure, absolutely. Individuals are responsible for their own behavior, but it would be naïve to stop there.

You have to point the finger at the brass who either through ignorance or apathy allowed this kind of thing to happen right under their noses. Which is it, they either condone it or they are negligent in their duties – thanks for coming, that one just took a bad hop off the infield now hit the bench.

You don't have to be at the top of a chain of command to come up with a fucked up idea. It is possible, whether you will admit it or not, that they DID do this on their own. We don't know - not you, not me. Conspiracy theories will abound and everybody can believe what they want, but you don't know for a fact that it does go beyond them and I don't know for a fact that it doesn't.

As for pointing the finger at the brass? Well, I'm still pretty far down the food chain so it isn't like I am covering a friend's ass here. I wish everything could be as simple as your view of events(condone vs. negligent) The military does not have cameras on everyone all the time. It is possible for a group of people to act in an unacceptable manner for a time - it will eventually be found out, though. and investigated. people will be disciplined. scenario sound familiar at all?
I don't say it is impossible that this went higher, but I am sick and tired of armchair generals like you sitting back and assuming that it went to the highest levels, "OMG america is crumbling, lets burn the village and cut our wrists so the world doesn't have to be ravaged by our decadent society anymore... "

Get over it. Bad shit happened. Consequences will be paid. It is bad but the world isn't ending because of the actions of some dumbass prison guards.
depmats is offline   Reply With Quote