View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 04:48 AM   #50
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

This was a genuine question about how the term is perceived in different places. I do appreciate that you would not have written positive posts about a country and its people and used a term you understood to be offensive.

With that out of the way I'll answer the other questions:

I haven't travelled to Pakistan although I have been to India & Sri Lanka. I live in a city which has approx 30% Asian or British Asian population, so friends & colleagues have talked about "home" and shown me holiday snaps from all over the Indian sub-continent. My knowledge of Pakistan is quite poor which is why I enjoyed seeing your pictures.

I liked the fact that you posted photos of street scenes - every day life. When I was in India I was amazed by how mundane vehicles could be so highly prized and decorated, it brought home that I was in a totally foreign place. The disregard for personal saftey on the road was shocking at first, but became the norm very quickly. The only serious accident I saw was in Eygpt, but of course that's another continent.

I think the following questions are perhaps some sort of jibe. But what the hey - you ask, you get.

I'm not Muslim, I'm an atheist. This seems to make it easier to enjoy other people's celebrations. I'll have a big Diwali (Hindu) night out and also a pig out Eid (Muslim)celebration when Ramadan finishes. And then Christmas!

I don't run with scissors, do play the Lottery when I remember, drink buckets of tea, my Dad plays cricket but I don't (don't understand the rules), can only name 2 baseball players, walk to work when fit, get the bus otherwise, like helium balloons, never seen Elvis, a UFO & never left my body with or without drugs.

Phew.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote