View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #48
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Well, I don't have anything going on that's more important. not even close. With you 100%, man. How's your new boss taking all this? I'm sure you must be showing the strain.
Last Monday, I came in unshaven, having forgotten to take a razor to the hospital with me. Nothing was said one way or the other, but I made sure to buy a razor at lunch and get shaved.

He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't need another staff member with family problems that distract from the job at hand. He hired me in hopes of crafting a more professional staff, and so all this is really badly timed for me. However, I'm still giving it my all, and the only thing I've had to do so far is to leave three hours early last Friday to meet with the doctor when Steve first started having big problems. I eat lunch at my desk while working over lunch hour, so that is already made up +2 hours.

My boss told me Friday that I was doing a good job and he was pleased so far. I take that to mean that I'm doing what I need to do at work, and that I'm keeping my personal life out of it. This is what I intend to continue to do, as long as my strength holds.

This is a short week. I'll make it. Spending nights at the hospital in a rather hard reclining chair with wooden arms does not leave one feeling refreshed and ready for the fray, and I'll be spending Monday and Tuesday nights in that chair (Wednesday night as well, but I won't have to go to work on Thursday, obviously).

Thanks to all of you once again. OC, your thoughts and energies are the best thing you can offer me. I doubt very much you are able to fly to KC and supervise my teenagers in cleaning house while my wife sits with Steve on Tuesday and Wednesday daytime, but I know you would if you could! Other than that, we're in good shape. We had our coven open Yule this afternoon, and people literally inundated us with food. We won't have to cook anything for at least a week, so that's another blessing.

It was a very emotional ceremony today. I'm so fragged and tired, plus I left my antidepressants and other meds at work on Friday, and I think I'm starting to feel the lack. I'm headed for bed now. Hopefully, I'll be able to dial out from his room on my laptop, and stay in touch. Plus, he wants to IM some of his online pals, and I'd like for him to be able to do that. He needs something to take his mind off of his problems.