View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #30
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I don't know if he got that point or not, it really depends on the kid. It depends on the kid and the mood and the time of day and their level of introspection and their current state of romantic affairs and a zillion other things. For those of us who are prone to overthinking stuff (like this), Clodfobble is absolutely on point. The rest of you enjoy your advantages of plain, simple understanding.

Your letter is beautiful Aliantha. Your kids are beautiful young people too. And Aden's your first beautiful young adult. This separation (your first, right?) is just as agonizing as the arrival of your first baby. Ho--lee crabcakes?!!?!?!?!? What now??! etc.

Seriously? Normal. HIGH DRAMA, yes, but as long as no permanent damage is done, all this pain is ... fair/right/normal/expected/unexpected/unavoidable. Now that I've cleared that up for you...

From where I stand, you're doing the right thing, and doing it the best you can. That's all that can be expected from you, even by your young adult child, though he might not know it now. I really, really think things will be ok. All the stuff I've read from you over the years makes me confident that you've raised a solid citizen. This transition from in the house to out of the house is just a ... I don't know... it's necessary. And it's temporary. HA. I mean temporary as in the whole drama of the "I'm leaving!" / "Well get out then!" will pass. But then I reflected (overthinking as usual) and realized that there's another meaning to temporary. He might be back! I know my kids have done that. *sigh*

But the trauma/drama of the initial separation was never equalled, thank FSM.

You guys are gonna be ok.