View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #92
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know it doesn't help, but in the spirit of sharing, Mum & I are on a 90% cooking-from-scratch diet at the moment. I love it. It's so much quicker and easier than I ever remember cooking being. In my case probably because I'm not just cooking for myself, and it is my major contribution to the household (Mum & Dad both cook, but they are both difficult to be in the kitchen with when they do).

Of course any leftovers get eaten by three people and none of us work so I know it doesn't compare. But my parents do hate the smell of me boiling up beans and pulses. My Mum has walked into the kitchen numerous times during this process with the patented look of disgust on her face (the mouth turned down one, you know). And Dad chokes & coughs when I am frying onions and garlic. But when it comes to the meal, they enjoy the taste and compliment the food.

All I can say is that side of things does get easier and more pleasurable, and does take less time once it's part of an established routine. And even grim smells become accepted after a while.

Just keep reading what you can get your hands on and keep using Mom-sense. You've been wonderful so far.