View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #606
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
[useless pedant]Ume is the Japanese word for plum. (Specifically, a species of plum indigenous to Japan.) It is very tart and doesn't really taste good fresh off the tree, so it is usually pickled, after which it is called umeboshi. They also siphon off the resulting vinegar from this process and sell it, and mash up some of the leftover plum grime to get ume paste. As the paste is a popular spread, there are varieties that have had additional flavors blended in.

Or you can ferment the plums into plum wine instead, which is much tastier than umeboshi.
Read all that, didn't explain it for me. But I guess what I was really looking for is to connect it to what I've eaten. The descriptions I read remind me of preserved plums, which taste both salty and sweet and a wonderful snack. Yahoo image search didn't help much. But thank to Clobfobble's "pedantic" explanation , I went back and did a google image search. I see now that I may have never tried umeboshi. To confess, the real reason I did a google image search is to show you this picture. Plum wine is an absolut delish. Well, this brand, at least.
Attached Images

Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote