View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #47
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

There is a HUGE difference between cheap beef, and GOOD beef. Cheap beef = pink slime - good beef - you pay more, consume less, because it's more 'beefy'.

I can guarantee you that corn is not the biologically 'proper' way to feed cows - if it was, cows would not be ruminants, needing 4 stomachs to digest the grass that they would prefer to eat. Marbling is only considered the 'proper' way beef should be eaten because of marketing. Grass fed cows have to be fed longer because they don't put on huge quantities of weight quickly, as do corn fed cows - which results in the marbling in the meat - they can't use the extra caloric input, so it results in fatty marbling through the muscle tissue.

I've sent an email to my farmer to find out what they use to feed their cattle. One good thing about knowing the farmer, is that I have no problem asking them questions, or showing up at their farm. (Which we do frequently).

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote