Thread: Stray cats?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Spay neuter feral cats > feral : cats that do not belong to anyone no one to object about 'not neutering for health reasons'

Cats can only catch birds that are sick or stoopid and that is where Darwin's theory helps create smarter and healthier birds
I agree. Stray cats should be neutered.

I was responding specifically to this:

Quote:
There outta be a law for those idiot cat owners, who have no intentions of getting their animals fixed, only to have litter upon litter roaming the neighborhood.
Some no doubt are idiots. Others may have done the research and come to the conclusion that the potential risks outweigh the potential gains for their cat.

As much as I agree with being a socially responsible pet owner, i also believe that the owner's first duty is to their pet. Whether or not to have your pet neutered is an individual decision and there are pros and cons to weigh up.

If I thought that neutering my pet would put them at risk of harm no amount of arguments for it as socially useful would persuade me to do that.

Many of the studies showing potential health risks are flawed or have been used wrongly to support arguments against neutering. Some of them sound very compelling. I spent months researching the issue when I had to decide for Carrot and it's a minefield of misinformation and polemics.

Being told you're an idiot for even considering not neutering your pet does not help this cause.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote