View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
Old people like to talk about poop.
In the clinic where I worked just before my residency we had a daily visitor - a 90-something year old man who came down twice a day to chat. No problem ... except that, one day, he proudly told the receptionist he'd had a huge poop that morning. She made some noncommittal response (how DO you respond to a statement like that?) and next thing she knew, he'd pulled a ball of feces out of his pocket and shoved it close to her face to 'show' her. It was about the size of an orange. Yep, huge poop. She shrieked and he left. He came back that afternoon and did it again. In between visits I'd called his family doc and asked him to get the guy in for an assessment, TODAY. The family doc said, hey, I saw the guy yesterday and he was fine. I said, sure, I saw him yesterday too. But TODAY he's carrying his poop in his pocket and pulling it out to show people.

It turned out he'd had a small stroke in his prefrontal cortex - which governs social inhibition, among other things.