Thread: Christmas Food
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #120
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You get HUGE turkeys here as well.
I remember one year when Mum won one in the work raffle just before Christmas. She was really grumpy about it, "Stupid prize, everyone with any sense would have bought their turkey by now, grumble, grumble." I think she had her eye on the bottle of whisky. I wrote about it on here somewhere (can't be arsed to look).

And we have a terrible record of mistreating our farm animals I'm ashamed to say. Battery hens were reviled throughtout my childhood, but it's only in the last few years that retailers have started to cotton on, beginning to use only free range eggs in their products. I fear we have a long time before I can say the same about chickens. And don't forget which country introduced the world to BSE. That opened a few eyes as to normal practice down on the farm I can tell you. To say nothing of regular outbreaks of foot & mouth.

We're getting better, I'll grant you that. And consumers are far better educated than they used to be - many buying free-range or RSPCA farm inspected products. But I can tell you that there is no duck producer in the country who has RSPCA approval. Not one. I won't buy duck now.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote