View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh there is so much I want to tell you!

And so much I can't say.

I will say this. It's not bragging. I think I like being my age. The perspective is marvelous, to look at the bigger picture and be able to see so much more of it.

That's the luxury of 50-something. More self-awareness. More other-awareness. The great benefit of humility. It's all very interesting. We have a 20-something in the office now, young sales gent, and he so plainly has none of any of that, it's really kind of amazing. I mean, he has all the benefits of 20-somethingness and I appreciate that. You need that. I'm happy to be past it. That's all I'm saying.

~

These days, because I work in this particular bit of technology and it's all new, I get a lot of nirvana-like moments, where I come to understand it all in new ways. I think all of us have these moments. Someone explains a piece of technology, or something, and suddenly, the bigger picture becomes more clear. It's fun to have this happen, if you're geeky. But technology jobs usually find some way to wring all the joy part out of it. These days, I'm a little ahead of that curve, so I'm getting the enjoyable part without the greedhead joy-wringing part.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote