View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #1924
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I had to reread it, questioning how accurate the narrative voice was all the way through - we only heard it from her perspective and she was a very frustrated woman. I still wan't sure at the end of the second read, but it was due back at the library.

I enjoyed it and was disturbed by it in equal measure and yes it really did make me THINK.
I think that's one of the reasons I liked it so much? Her fault, his fault, bad seed? Does anyone ever really have answers to those things? Her failings as a mother as vehicle for evil son, true or false? Was husband so damn stupid about it all? I would think the narrative voice of a person who were actually in her shoes would be hard to dissect. This is the beauty of it: I'm STILL thinking about it.

I read a bad review about it, some mad mother saying the woman didn't behave like a real mother would. Well, who gets to say how all real mothers behave? Miss Doting Overprotective isn't guaranteed a perfect child. She didn't blame video games or movies or society. There are all kinds of mothers out there, as we all well know. What sorts of things made this kid the way he was? So much food for my brain.

I thought the writing itself was extraordinary. I read it twice. Cried at the end both times, but slice of grim reality can do that to me. Neat little bows of explanation bore me...I'll be considering this tale for some time.

Of course, there were no spaceships or wizards or vampires.