View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

December 14, 2012: Phan Thi Kim Phuc

I'm having trouble properly sourcing the second picture - found via Tumblr - as definitely being her, but as I've seen the photoset validated by quite a few fairly reliable tumblrs, I'm going to present what linkage I can find.

I think most Americans are familiar with the pulitzer-prize-winning Trang Bang napalm attack photograph:

Name:  tumblr_mezcivqZQw1qzqvm2o1_500.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  59.3 KB

Well, via an apparently Wikipedia-posted photoset, according to the tumblr posts I could find with Wikipedia in the source field, here she is this year:

Name:  tumblr_mezcivqZQw1qzqvm2o2_500.jpg
Views: 5617
Size:  73.4 KB

presented along with this caption:

Quote:
Kim Phuc was pictured in a world-famous and iconic photograph from the Vietnam war, running naked from an airborne attack, horribly burned with napalm, in June of 1972. Since then, Kim has found peace, and a message she can offer, borne of her suffering.

She runs The Kim Foundation International, and she acts as a Goodwill Ambassador for UNESCO. She has transformed into a viable, visible symbol of peace and hope. Hers is an important story of resilience, courage, and forgiveness.
along with an additional link to this NPR story.

My heart goes out to civilian victims of political conflict around the world, in this season of goodwill towards man. It's uplifting to see a generally nameless and generic un-thought-about subject of such an iconic photograph follow up on her trauma with such powerful activism and visibility.