View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #58
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Radar, did you attend public school?
Whether or not I personally went to public school is irrelevant. The anecdotal evidence of a single person has no bearing on the state of the public education system as a whole. Also, the public education system has been steadily declining for the last 50 years and has gotten progressively worse at an alarming rate since Ronald Reagan created the federal Department of Education.

The failure of public schools has nothing to do with the amount of money they receive. On average in America, public schools get about $10,770 per pupil per year. The average tuition of a private school is $6,600 and on average the students get a better education than public schools.

When I ran for Congress, I suggested we give any person or company a dollar for dollar tax credit for any kids they send to private schools. They don't even have to be their own kids. This means if I have a $30,000 tax burden, and I choose to spend $19,800 to send 3 poor kids to a private school, my tax burden is reduced to $10,200. A business could choose to send hundreds or thousands of kids to schools.

This would also give the American people a choice of where their tax dollars are spent. If I don't want my tax money going to fund an illegal war, I can choose to spend it to provide a service the government normally provides. For the first time, Americans could choose to spend the money to send poor kids to school, to feed hungry people, to buy medicine for the elderly, etc. and all of the money would go to those in need rather than to the federal government to be spent on pork.