View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Snakeadelic
Banned

I swear living in Seattle too long rots your brain.

A TUNNEL???

In my lifetime I've been through at least 5 earthquakes of magnitude 5 or greater. All but one were in (unladylike words here) Seattle. One of them was the Nisqually Quake mentioned in the Wikipedia link--the 6.8, epicentered about 15 miles as the crow flew from my apartment building at the time. Said apartment building shook like a wet dog for 32 seconds straight. Half a minute can seem like a very, very long time, folks.

My sweetie of 13 years used to drive through downtown next to the Viaduct 5 days a week and he HATED that thing. I dunno about politicians and town meetings and infrastructure planning and all that, but I do distinctly remember than everyone I knew back then who drove in that area was terrified that if another 5+ magnitude quake hit, the Viaduct was positioned perfectly to fall all over the waterfront and kill lots of tourists and commuters.

You'd never catch me in an underground large-bore tunnel anywhere near Puget Sound, thanks. Or one with six faults and ninety-anything fracture zones!
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote