View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 01:25 AM   #16
bjlhct
Theremin Master

better analogy - airlines

Yes, most people think that the occasional strip searches, the taking off of shoes, the searching of bags, the associated costs, all the various things that waste your time and money without making you safer, are all worthwhile. Not only that, but it's mandated by the government. If you don't like it, not only is there not a competitor to go to that doesn't do this - the government forbids there being one. Ah, the irony of the conservative promising to shrink government and instead nationalizing airport security and raising spending to WWII levels.

See, worrying about the sniper shooting you is an irrational fear. Go look up the murder rate in your area. Go look up the traffic deaths in your area. Worrying about terrorists on planes as much as they are worried about - also an irrational fear. And if there's one thing I know about fear, it's that it's better to deal with your fear than be afraid for the rest of your life. Continuous fear makes you stupid and manipulatable - in short, more vulnerable.

I am incredibly fed up with the incompetence of the government. I've dealt with politicians - they really are clueless and delusional. The latest threat is the "terrists." Obviously, we need a non-working missile defense system and gameable airport security to stop them. Obviously we need to give the government more power to arrest the wrong people. Obviously

And yet, whenever I start to hate this incompetence most, I see the representatives of the majority faith in establishment that makes me realize that yes, the people as a whole get the government they deserve. I am reminded that civilization is still in its infancy, that all our technology is crude but effective, that we can only live here by the amazing chance hospitability of Earth and that we are ruining that. I am reminded that society has progressed only through trial and error. I am reminded that the potential for progress is impossible to seize because of this. I am reminded that without the past mistakes that have created culture and tradition, people couldn't see what to do to save their lives. I am reminded that our civilization hangs by a thread.

/rant
bjlhct is offline   Reply With Quote