View Single Post
Old 09-26-2001, 10:51 AM   #1
dave

All Time Favorite Movies

Okay. I have entirely too much free time at work. That's my boss' fault for not giving me enough to do. So now that I've justified my Cellar habit...

What is your favorite movie of all time, and why?

If you can't name just one, then name a few.

Just sit there, think for a second, and then spit it out.

Here, I'll go first.

And, uh... Spoiler warning. Yeah.

American Beauty - I have been a Kevin Spacey fan for years. After I first saw Swimming With Sharks, I began seeing everything he was in. Well, in October of 1999, I was in Toronto with a friend and we wanted to go see a movie. Looking in the paper, we saw that this film American Beauty was playing soon. All I knew about the film was that Kevin Spacey was starring. I think someone suggested we go see Mystery, Alaska but I was adamant. So, off to the theater we went.

Two hours and a few minutes later, I was sitting in the theater smiling. The main character was dead. Murdered. And I was smiling. I saw it again a few days later. When I got back to Maryland, I went to see it with my friend Megan. It was then that I began to fully appreciate the movie. It helped me see the world in a different light. It changed my life.

I saw it four more times in the theater, each time going with someone new. My sister, who was skeptical at first, went with me to see it twice. It's the only movie she's seen in the theater twice, and it remains her favorite movie. It's Megan's favorite movie. Jenni, my better half/significant other, considers it her favorite movie as well.

I own the VHS version, and Jenni and I each have a copy on DVD. I've seen it at least 20 times. Each time, I am brought to tears at the end. For any number of reasons. And each time, it reminds me why life is so special. Why we're lucky to be alive. It remains my favorite movie, and likely will. No movie has touched me as deeply, nor moved me as far. It was what I needed to see at a hard time in my life. It has changed me.

It's A Wonderful Life - I saw this after I got back from Toronto. This is my dad's favorite movie, and I finally buckled down and watched it. And it was spectacular. It's dated, but it's moving. I can't help but come to tears at the end. It reminds me that even though things may not be working out the way you envisioned them, it's still a wonderful thing to be alive. My #2/#3 movie, tied with the next one.

The Shawshank Redemption - besides being a good story and coming together like a true masterpiece, this movie teaches a lesson as well - that our bonds with loved ones are the most important thing, and that keeping hope throughout the hard times can be a great thing. It is, in my opinion, a more well-done movie than It's A Wonderful Life, but they're still equal in my eyes. Another truly great movie.

Now, aside from the emotional "lucky to be alive" dramas, I have another list of favorites. I'll try and touch on these a bit quicker.

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb - the best black comedy ever. Kubrick is amazing.

The Godfather / The Godfather Part II - Exceptionally well done in every way. True epics. Two of the best films ever released. Part III wasn't too shabby either. Can't wait for the DVD release next month.

Fight Club - When I first saw it, I didn't think it was anything special. I liked it, but didn't consider it great. But after I got back from Toronto (I saw a lot of movies in Toronto, w00t), I thought about it more. The attention to detail is pretty spectacular, and the little hints that are dropped leading up to the ending make the movie something I can watch over and over, picking up more each time.

Chasing Amy - I love Clerks and Mallrats and Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but Chasing Amy is the best of the bunch. It's real. That's what makes it a great movie.

GoodFellas - I can't get enough of it. One of Scorsese's better pictures. Great pacing, great photography... GreatFellas.

And there are a tone more. I'm a movie buff. I have nearly 100 dvds (after getting a DVD player in Februrary - let's see, that's about 14 DVD's/month) and over 100 VHS movies (which I bought from about June of 2000 until February, when I stopped buying VHS). I've seen a lot of movies, I like a lot of movies... but those are just some of the more notable ones.

So... what's your favorite movie? Why?